If you have ever passed by a Puerto Rican restaurant, you will see this delightful dish treat it is called papa rellena or relleno de papa meaning the same thing stuffed potato it’s made out of real potato, and it can be stuffed with any type of meats such as chicken or beef so i won’t keep you guys in suspense any longer let’s get to it!
- Russet potatoes. Russets are a great, all-purpose potato that mash easily without being overly dense.
- Picadillo. Typically, papas rellenas are stuffed with picadillo, which is a traditional Cuban ground beef dish.
- Egg. Once the potato balls are stuffed and formed, they’re rolled in beaten egg in order to get the breadcrumbs to adhere.
- Breadcrumbs. I use plain store-bought breadcrumbs. In order to make this recipe gluten-free, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Neutral oil for frying. Plain vegetable oil is a good option,
- First, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the potatoes until they’re tender. Drain them and return them to the hot pot so that any extra water evaporates.
- Mash with a potato masher until there are no lumps. I seasoned the potatoes with salt and pepper and added about a teaspoon of milk to help the mixture stay moist and come together a bit. The potatoes should not be smooth and creamy like typical mashed potatoes, or they will not hold their shape.
- Let the mashed potatoes cool a bit.
For more recipes refer to my books AVAILABLE NOW! On paperback and kindle. Don’t have kindle No Worries! FREE UNLIMTED KINDLE For my DEAL OF THE DAY or EARLY BLACK FRIDAY SALE. Most products are EBT/SNAP ELIGIBLE. Join us on FACEBOOK
As an Amazon associate and a member of other affiliate programs i earn from qualifying products in advance i thank you for your service.